Monday, July 30, 2007

Gordy's waiting for the bus!




Last night I went for a walk with my two daughters and on our little stroll we walked past "Gordy". No, that's not really his name, but he looked like a "Gordy" to me, so for the sake of the story, we'll call him "Gordy". I had to stop and take a few pictures, it was a must. When I got home I shared the pictures with my wife, she told me that I was cruel to have a laugh at this man's expense. Fair enough, but in my defense, I'm not interested in this guy's appearance because he's over weight. Yes, his shape did intrigue me, however it was his posture and stressed face that interested me. I found the man to be an interesting character, the way his body swayed back and forth and every once in a while he would bounce up to tip-toe position almost like a ballerina, it was great. My three year old Isabeau asked "Daddy, what are you doing?" I told her I was taking pictures of the interesting scenery, she then said "Oh, but daddy, look at the funny man." She found him interesting too.
Yesterday when I was painting the EL tracks at Leland and Broadway a women asked me why I was painting that? She said that's not beautiful, or worth painting! I told her it was beautiful to me, it's so much more interesting to me to paint how it really is, and what I'm really surrounded by. Anyways, enough blah, blah already.

The pen sketches were done in one of my sketch books very quickly, I used a blue Jetstream uni pen . . . permanent, however if it's held in one place for too long it bleeds everywhere . . . fun for quick sketches though. The pencil sketch was drawn a little bit different then how I normally sketch with pencil. I was influenced by my friend Tom Fluharty's stlyle of sketching. I sketched very quickly and didn't look much at my paper, looking mostly at the subject, my pencil never really left the paper.

4 Comments:

Blogger William K. Moore said...

Jason .. been through the explaining deal.. and perhaps it's for the artist to really understand. I've taken a few hits from people about my using the underpriviledged as subjects. And some comments have been a little nasty. I always thank them for the compliment - something must have stirred them! I doubt they really care about poor people "THAT" much... and perhaps it points to something else. I always paint what's compelling for me... hope you continue to do the same. BTW excellent!

3:30 PM  
Blogger bog_art said...

I have seen some people like the guy you described here.. and yes!! they have something that bring us to draw them..

8:21 PM  
Blogger Mette said...

hah, i think this is great! :) I often tend to look at people waiting for the bus too, its fun how some tighten their faces and seem almost too important to stand there waiting. I've never really minded waiting for the bus, cause people are always fun to look at.
I especially like your pencil sketch, the stress and tiptoeing are very much present in it. That half-open mouth does a lot too. :) Great as always, Jason.

5:33 AM  
Blogger Brian Brantley said...

You can't win really. People have objections to what's too loud and too quiet it sounds like. I love the way the shirt tucks in and out on that guy in you quick sketch page.

3:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners