Monday, March 03, 2008

Norm Coleman or Al Franken?




This is a job I did last Friday for The Weekly Standard. I was called Thursday night and given the concept of the piece, worked out a few ideas with the art director over the phone, then woke up early Friday morning to start with the sketches. Started at 5:30 a.m. and finished around 7:00 p.m. A long hard day . . . these types of jobs are rough, but a challenge I welcome. With two people, full body as well as a quick turnaround, I prefer to paint the illustration as a black and white, focusing only on values. This is a much faster way to paint, the cool thing about doing it this way is that when the black and white painting is finished, I'm about 90% finished, just a few layers of color and it's finished.

9 Comments:

Blogger Ryan Wood said...

Great job, Jason! You captured both of their personalities perfectly.

11:11 PM  
Blogger Marco Bucci said...

awesome again! Actually I like the more spontaneous look that I'm seeing here. Not to say that it looks incomplete (it doesn't). It just seems to have more life than something that's rendered up the yin yang.

11:32 PM  
Blogger gemini82 said...

Excellent methodology. Something so simple banging my head for not thinking of it.

good work

8:18 AM  
Blogger Terry Elliott said...

Jason, congratulations on a job well done! You mentioned that you first did the illustration as a black-and-white with values then added color. How did you do this? I suspect you simply added a blank layer with a low opacity on top then added color. The low opacity so the values would come through. Is this right? Thanks and, again, great piece and great blog!

12:19 PM  
Blogger Nelson Santos said...

Great stuff Jason hilarious lol

11:53 AM  
Blogger Jon Casey said...

man, are those guys trying to make things difficult? I would think it would be better for everyone if they come up with the idea, say, 2 days in advance...
But thats an outsiders point of view, I dont know how these things work really.

Anyways, very impressive! I just spent two weeks doing one face for homework in black and white!
Jon

3:38 PM  
Blogger SEILER said...

Thanks guys! I'm about to start another one for them, this time I get two days, so should be better!

12:16 AM  
Blogger William K. Moore said...

Thought I commented on this one.. perhaps I hit the wrong button. Anyway a thx to you for sharing some of the tricks of the trade. The results speak.

2:36 AM  
Blogger SEILER said...

Thanks Bill, was a lot of fun to work on . . . . it's always fun yankin' someone's pants down!

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners