Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Ricky Gervais Steve Merchant Sketch



* I need to let everyone know that my next class on Caricature is filling up, there are only 15 seats available per semester and they're filling up. My next class starts on January 23rd. To learn more about my class at Schoolism click here. Remember, there are limited seats available for each class. *


If you're not familiar with Ricky Gervais and Steve Merchant, you should be! They're responsible for the "original" show "The Office". Ricky and Steve also started another show called "Extras" which is also a MUST SEE . . . hilarious and very well written!

To the drawing . . . this is a pencil sketch in one of my smaller sketch books. One of my Christmas gifts this year was the box set of both season one and two as well as the two hour finale of "Extras". I've been wanting to do a drawing or painting of both these guys for a while now . . . for now I'm settled with a little sketch, but eventually I'd like to do something more with them. They both have such great features, it's hard to resist getting a sketch book out while watching them. Because I sketched both of them on this single small sheet, I wasn't able to show Steve Merchant's long and gangely body . . . if I were to do a painting of the two of them, I'd have Steve Merchant at least half a body taller in height above Ricky Gervais.

14 Comments:

Blogger charles Da Costa said...

Hi JASON! fantastic work!!! i love your style! keep on continue to plese us with your drawings!!!

12:03 PM  
Blogger Tim Bye said...

Great stuff!

5:46 PM  
Blogger Paul Moyse said...

Fine work as always Jason. And I LOVE this show. The two hour final episode is a work of genius!

Btw, you've absolutely nailed Gervais. Superb!

6:46 PM  
Blogger Marco Bucci said...

nice sketch as usual Jason!

8:33 PM  
Blogger Manoj Sinha said...

It's remind Laurel & Hardy. Nice!!!

4:56 AM  
Blogger Jorge Restrepo H. said...

Genial!!!
All your characters tell stories.

5:48 AM  
Blogger Everybody's gotta be in a Gang said...

NIce sketch! I like the way you handle the loose, energetic lines to build up the form and the highlights on the eyes of Rick Gervais.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Belmhern said...

Hi Jason, I'm the guy you wrote the mail from Spain, was only congratulate you for your work and say that I am an admirer of yours. I've taken the liberty to make a caricature of yourself, you've sent with the mail and I hope you like it.
Tell you that I added to my links.
It was only that, I hope you have not bothered, greetings from Spain.

11:00 AM  
Blogger SEILER said...

Hey thanks guys! I love the Extras ... only wish there were more seasons to enjoy! Thanks for the encouragement!

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You 'Avvin a laugh? Great stuff, great tribute.

1:14 PM  
Blogger kencoogan said...

I love this Jason. You've got Stephen Merchant's character's 'clueless' expression down to a tee.
I too would love to see another series but I think Ricky Gervais pulled a real masterstroke with both The Office and Extras in limiting them to two series each. I think there are far too many comedy and drams series out there that really don't know when to call it a day and end up running out of steam towards the end.
Anyway, I'm dying to see what you do with this sketch down the line!!

1:24 PM  
Blogger Jon Moss said...

Well you beat me to it Jason, I was working on a sketch of these and toying with the idea of doing it for my final assignment on Schoolism. However after seeing yours I think I'm just gonna retire it to the archives. Awesome work, you really captured their personalities.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Dan Johnson said...

Awesome, I love these guys. If you want more from them you can download their audio podcasts from Audible.co.uk or iTunes and listen to them talking nonsense with the hilarious Karl Pilkington. There's about 17 hours audio in total!!

3:50 AM  
Blogger Mark Baker said...

love this one jason...

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners