Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Bloomie lll - Cover for the Village Voice!



This is "this" weeks Village Voice cover. I did the sketch Friday afternoon, blocked in the painting Sunday afternoon and then completed it on Monday. This was a fun job to work on. The art director for the V.V. was great to work with, and that always makes my job much more enjoyable.





There were some challenges with this job. The main challenge was maintaining a strong likeness while completely changing Mayor Bloomberg's appearance. The Village Voice wanted me to paint Bloomberg as "Clubber" from Rocky Three. A funny idea, but tricky to pull off. They wanted me to "beef" him up and give him Mr. T.'s Mohawk and beard. I was concerned that it would be hard enough to tell it was Bloomberg with the muscles and Mohawk, so I did two versions. One with the beard and one without. This way they could choose the image that would work best for their needs. I'm happy I was able to pull the likeness through the beard, muscles and Mohawk! Would be fun to see Bloomberg's reaction when he sees it!




This is obviously the beardless version.


On the stands in New York



Thank you Dan Springerfor taking this picture!

21 Comments:

Blogger Niall O loughlin said...

Just amazing Jason, the detail on the large version is incredible, the skin is almost translucent.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Nuff said...

Now that is good! Amazing painting.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Patrick LaMontagne said...

Oh, that's just frickin' cool. LOVE the detail.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Jörn said...

Can't stop looking for all this lovely details. Amazing!

9:33 AM  
Blogger J. Anthony Kosar said...

This one really is awesome!!! Its interesting how adding the beard gives him more of a frowning pus.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Pointpusher said...

Just... wow... Nice one sir.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Marco Bucci said...

Great one man! I don't know the guy, but I like the bearded version better too. Looked like a fun piece to paint!

9:46 AM  
Blogger Lash LeRoux said...

Simply unbelievable, Jason! Quite possibly one of my favorite works from you. I know a lot of your art has a more painterly feel (which I love), but I think this more detailed and tightly rendered look works really well for a cover. Reminds me a bit of Mark Fredrickson’s work without losing your distinctive style. I’m absolutely blown away!

On a side note, it’s strange but to me the likeness is stronger with the beard -- which is totally weird given Bloomberg’s perpetually clean shaven face.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Everybody's gotta be in a Gang said...

Looks great, Jason- I'll photograph it right now. Just have to walk down the street to the Village Voice box...

11:07 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

Amazing use of light. I can almost smell those gloves!

11:24 AM  
Blogger Jorge Restrepo H. said...

ABSOLUTLY GENIAL!!!!!!

11:41 AM  
Blogger Aaron Wilkin said...

As always great job!!! The hair looks amazing, and the sweat beads on the glove are impressive.

12:28 PM  
Blogger ian said...

Holy crap that's awesome! I am amazed by your lighting, just stuffing stuff.

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great stuff. As usual.

Is that amount of trash on the street normal in NYC?

1:43 PM  
Blogger Matt Ryder said...

Simply amazing job Jason, wow.....

2:03 PM  
Blogger Patrick Strogulski said...

He,he fantastic piece!!

6:04 AM  
Blogger Nelson Santos said...

Wow looks like a 3d piece coming from ZBrush.

6:29 AM  
Blogger Barry O'Donoghue said...

Fantastic piece Jason! I love the detail in the muscles and gloves.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Eric Zampieri said...

Wow!



Cool!

4:25 PM  
Blogger William K. Moore said...

Loving it Jason. Didn't know Merle Haggard was still in the ring making music with his guns. Can't say any more but congrats.. oh yeah - killer illo!

12:33 AM  
Blogger Will Appledorn said...

Interesting, wouldn't have guessed you'd done this first time i saw it.was there something unique in your approach on this one?

a tough project indeed, executed awesomely.

great stuff.

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners