Thursday, November 12, 2009

Roger Hurtado Oil



One of the biggest things that frustrates me about painting traditionally, especially with oils, is that I can't seem to ever get an accurate scan or picture . . . the original always looks much better. I just scanned this oil in of Roger Hurtado and tried messing with the levels a bit to get it close, but it's just not quite right? The original has a nice wet "oil" look to it, rich texture and color. Anyways, I suppose there's not much I can do about it right now . . . . . ?

This is a small 8"x10" oil of artist Roger Hurtado, painted last week at the ISCA convention in Ohio. I was going for a look with this portrait that would hopefully make viewers look twice. I wanted the exaggeration to be subtle, almost as if the subject really does look just like this. Hopefully it has that effect?

4 Comments:

Blogger Jesse Winchester said...

This looks awesome Jason. I know what your talking about. Bouguereau's paintings look fantastic as a print, but having seen one in real life the difference is drastic. Now I must see original Sargents, "An outdoors study" in particular....

As far as subtlety I dont find anything subtle about that brow...hehe. Looks great in my opinion though....

Keep inspired and inspiring!

Cheers
-Jesse

6:10 PM  
Blogger Anthony De Sousa said...

Real painting is always better than a photo etc...l'm agree with Jesse. When i've sawn "in real Ingres painting, i was a thousand time better than the pictures of my books...it was incrèdible and so beautiful...and when i try to photograph my paintings, i have the same problems than you...it's difficult with the brightness, the angles, the reflects....pfff....

Great job Jason (sorry for my bad english....)

6:30 PM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Hey Jason, well the picture looks great I can see the fluid brush strokes and also the rich color pallete, but I do understand your frusteration with the photo and oil paintings. Welcome to my world the picture will never give you that quality you want, but if you have the right setup it can come close. I got taught to in order to photograph paintings you ll need a cool lighting or a natural lighting, for example use the type of lighting that an overcast day gives, not too strong and that it brings out the subtletees. Or shoot your work outside when the sun is going down at around 4ish when it's not too strong and you can avoid glares. Hope this helps, great painting man!!!

7:27 PM  
Blogger Eric Zampieri said...

You´re right. Sadly this is a point to digital drawings, you don´t have to deal with scans or photos and retouching

4:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners