Wednesday, January 06, 2010

New Village Voice Cover



My first cover of 2010 and the first cover for Village Voice of 2010! This was a bit nuts to pull off under such a tight deadline, so I'm very pleased with the end result. I only had one day to complete this painting, as I was on holiday when I received the job and there wasn't any way I could work on it until the day before it was due. I was able to squeeze off a quick sketch over the weekend and get it approved for painting.




I started work around 4:00 a.m. Monday Morning, and painted all day, took a dinner break and then worked until around 9:00 p.m. I then woke up at 4:00 a.m. Tuesday morning and painted until the deadline, which was 8:00 a.m.

This was a fun piece to work on, I really enjoy working with the Village Voice! The idea behind this cover is simple, a parody of "The Odd Couple" movie poster. If I had more time, I would have liked to have played around with things a bit more and have a little more fun with posture and gags . . . but being as I didn't have much time, my main priority was to draw Bloomberg and Thompson's face with the exact angle and expression that I needed. I had to make up their expressions . . . to do that, I took pictures of myself making the exact expression that I needed and from there I made the rest up.

For the rest of the painting, I tried to capture the feeling of the original painting, adding small things of my own here and there . . . the important thing for this cover was that the "parody" read well, so I couldn't stray too far from the original.



Detail of face . . . I tried to keep it fairly loose and painterly . . .





Pic of inside spread by Hermann Mejia.

15 Comments:

Blogger jeffkunze said...

Do you charge more for these quick turnarounds? If so, in general what percentage?
Nice work BTW!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Niall O loughlin said...

Fantastic work as always Jason, again I admire your dedication and of course the attention to detail is superb.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Jorge Restrepo H. said...

FANTASTIC ILUSTRATION!!!! VERY INTERESTING TO KNOW HOW YOU MAKE YOUR PAINTINGS, YOUR ROUTINE OF WORK.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I can't believe these companies and their deadlines! It's all part of the game I suppose. You did great man. I love the expressions.

11:51 AM  
Blogger John Stone said...

Nice, always enjoy your work keep them coming.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Aaron Wilkin said...

Really nice job on this one man!!! I can't believe how you could pull off that amount of detail in a day!!!! Crazy!! Theres a very cool Norman Rockwell vibe, mixed with Seiler detail going on here. I think?

12:39 PM  
Blogger LarsEr Arts said...

Do you ever have the urge to paint traditional any more? I am a very confused by the wonderful painterlly look you create! What brush do you use? Made your own, or ir can you tell witch one?
Great job very Norman Rockwellish.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Tim Wilmsen said...

As always,...: "very nice!"

2:08 PM  
Blogger Eugen Caitaz said...

Hihiho! Looks very funny and Awesome!!! You have very interestings ideas!!! Yohohooo! Bravo! =)

3:31 PM  
Blogger William K. Moore said...

Take a bow.. and another. Way to take it to the press!

8:11 PM  
Blogger ian said...

Incredible to do that so quickly, just amazing.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

WOw Jason, amazing! In a day you did all that, wow! Great Painting Jason!

10:47 PM  
Blogger Jay Farley said...

You are some kind of bionic artist pumping a piece out like that. Amazing as always. I agree with a couple of these guys. When I first seen the cover, it reminds me of Norman Rockwell as well.

4:21 PM  
Blogger charles Da Costa said...

Fantastic painting Jason !!!
very very nice ,I admire your work.
Congratulation !!!

2:27 AM  
Blogger andres casciani said...

great work! thanks for shearing the process!

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners